Monday, August 3, 2009

Help with your bags

I recently purchased four contemporary Fiesta dinnerware mixing bowl sets on an incredible clearance deal at a mall in Denver. Instead of making multiple trips, I was given a couple versions of the device above (although the wood portion was made of plastic). I "manned up" and made the trip through the mall balancing a dozen heavy pottery bowls. These things work. Although I was pretty exhausted when I got to my car, there were no blisters or cuts on my hands.

We were surprised to see a Harzfeld's branded version of the bags holder last week in the collection of Gary and Elaine Kabrick. They invited Michele and I for a visit, along with Gary's brother, Arthur, and his wife, Karon. We had a great time learning about the brothers' parents, who met at Harzfeld's in the late '20s. Their great aunt also worked at Harzfeld's. We heard some stories and saw some wonderful ephemera, including many Holiday cards sent from the store's long time president, Lester Siegel Sr. More on our visit in the future.

We may be posting only once a week for a while as our manuscript for Harzfeld's: A Brief History has a deadline coming soon. If all goes well, the book will be available before the end of the year.

2 comments:

  1. Best of luck with your book. I found your blog because I was doing research on Harzfeld's. I have a London Fog Coat with the Harzfeld's label on the inside of the coat. It's an amazing look into the past of the Harzfeld's era.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! I found out one of my cousins worked at Harzfelds when she was 15 or 16 ... she's probably 63 now. Let me know if you'd like more info.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for your comment! We'll likely make it public very soon.